About UsLighthouseMaritime MuseumLinks/ResourcesShare Your Photos
 
The Roanoke River Lighthouse
 

This detailed replica of the lighthouse represents the second in a series of three important Roanoke River Light Stations. The first, commissioned in 1810 by the United States Lighthouse Service, was actually a three-masted lightship anchored at the mouth of the river. Whale-oil lights covered with red, green & blue lenses helped sailors find safe entrance to the river. This early light vessel came into the hands of the  Confederacy during the Civil War and was retaken by Union forces when they captured the town of Plymouth. Historians think the station may have been taken up-river and scuttled with other vessels to block the passage of the famous ironclad Ram Albemarle.  

The original of this replica, a graceful screwpile design built in 1866, replaced the first light vessel. Later that year, a winter storm froze the Albemarle Sound and the thawing ice cut two of the pilings, causing one side of the station to become partially submerged. A third station was built in 1887 and remained until it was decommissioned in the 1950s and removed.

See the chronology of the light, below, but for the full, fascinating story visit the Roanoke River Lighthouse in Downtown Plymouth. Plan time to explore the Roanoke River Maritime Museum, just across the street.

And while you're there, don't miss the acclaimed Port o' Plymouth Museum at the east end of Water Street, the adjacent Rail Switch Nature Trail (one of NC Birding Trail's featured spots), the Wildife Museum midway down the same street, historic walking tours, and lots of shops and eateries. Visit the Town of Plymouth Web site or the Washington County, NC Web site for more information about these and other attractions.

Open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. For other times, or for group or special tours, please make arrangements by calling (252) 217-2204. From US Highway 64, follow the signs to Downtown Plymouth. Ample free parking for cars, buses and RVs convenient to attractions.

Roanoke River Lighthouse Chronology

1831

Congress approves money for lightship in Albemarle Sound to aid mariners sailing to and from Plymouth, NC

1835

Lightship was built and put into service about two miles from mouth of Roanoke. It became one of ten floating beacons anchored in NC waters between 1823 and 1836. G.W. Charles and D.M. McDonald are superintendents.

1857

Thornton Jenkins, secretary of the Light-House Board, reports that lightships are in need of “frequent and expensive repairs” and will soon have to be rebuilt or replaced by lighthouses.

1861

April: the Civil War begins and plans to replace Roanoke River Lightship are halted. Later, the Confederate States government in Richmond takes control of all light stations in seceded states and appoints Joseph Ramsey superintendent of the Roanoke River Lightships.

1861

September: Ramsey hires a steamboat to tow the lightship upriver to Williamston. The move is made in response to an order by Confederate officials to prevent the lightship from being a navigation aid to federal ships.

1866

The first Roanoke River Lighthouse is built about six miles downriver from Plymouth, on the east side of the channel in Batchelors Bay off the Albemarle Sound. Thomas Clifton is appointed first keeper and William H. Williams is assistant keeper.

1885

March: Fire started and quickly raged through the lighthouse, completely destroying it.

1885

Late summer: Lighthouse at the mouth of the Roanoke put into service.

1886

January: Temperatures are so cold for such a period of time that the Albemarle Sound freezes. Ice damages the building beyond repair, causing part of the structure to become submerged.

 

A Temporary light is rigged to replace the collapsed structure.

1886

September: Work begins on a second Roanoke River Lighthouse.

1887

February: Keeper and crew took charge while painters finished last details of new lighthouse. This is the third Roanoke River Lighthouse in two years.

1950s This third lighthouse remains in service until being de-commissioned in the early 1950s. It is bought and removed to Edenton as a private residence in 1955.

completed 2003 

A replica was built, using the plans for the second Roanoke River Lighthouse.

 
BACK
 
 
 
Contact UsHome

Plymouth is located in northeastern North Carolina. Approximately 80 miles from the coast.

Downtown Plymouth Map

 

Hours of Operation
11 AM to 3 PM
Tuesday thru Saturday
and by appointment

Call: 252-217-2204

 

Major Funding through
NCDOT Enhancement Grant

 

About Us | Lighthouse | Maritime Museum | Links/Resources | Contact Us | Home

 

Roanoke River Lighthouse & Maritime Museum
West Water Street, Downtown Plymouth, NC
Phone: 252-217-2204    Email: info@roanoakeriverlighthouse.org
Hours: 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM Tuesday thru Saturday, and by appointment

© Copyright, Roanoke River Lighthouse & Maritime Museum, , All rights reserved

Site design by Interactive Communications, Inc.